I Peter 5:2-3
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not pursuing dishonest gain, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.
As an independent Christian Church we are fully autonomous and governed by the board of Elders, a group of Godly men who meet the required Biblical qualifications and are affirmed by the congregation. You can read more about the role of the Elders below.
What is the role of the elders?
In Scripture, we see the elders serving as ‘local leadership’ to the church Body. First Christian Elders provide spiritual oversight, direction and leadership responsibility for the local church entrusting that direction to ministry leaders and staff. The elders are called to shepherd and serve the local Body, and by doing so, demonstrate their deep love for God and for people. Elders are called to equip the Body of Christ for service. In short, they are to protect, feed, lead, and help to meet the needs of those in the church family.
What is the role of staff?
Senior staff leadership, accountable to the elders, fulfills the elder board’s direction for the church. The staff is comprised of ministry leaders who maximize their gifts and talents as they lead their ministries and make practical decisions on how to implement and carry out the direction provided by the Elders.
What are the elders’ responsibilities?
The elders are responsible for providing spiritual oversight, shepherding the flock, and managing the church, but will delegate to qualified others in the body so these duties are carried out effectively.
How do the elders provide spiritual oversight?
- Confront false teaching and behavior contradictory to biblical truth and implement appropriate church discipline
- Maintain the administration of Baptism and Communion as instituted by Christ
- Review and evaluate teaching and curricula for biblical accuracy and consistency with FC values (weekend services, classes, and sub-ministry materials)
- Demonstrate and model ministry to the poor, distressed and all those in need
How do the elders shepherd the flock?
- Pray for, guide and encourage the body in their walk with Christ
- Encourage forgiveness, grace, restoration and love
- Anoint and pray over any of the body who are of need, as is found in James 5:14
- Participate (as needed) in the biblical process of conflict resolution outlined by Jesus in Matthew 18, Galatians 6
How do the elders manage the church?
- Approve the annual FC budget for presentation to the body
- Implement and monitor compliance with board policy
- Encourage the senior pastor and volunteers
- Conduct annual reviews of the Lead Pastor and Operations Director
- Delegate to qualified assistants, staff, and/or outside experts as needed
- Encourage the development of future leaders